Tuesday 29 October 2013

Miss Lily's, New York

This review has really been a long time coming...sorry guys!

I'd heard about Miss Lily's restaurant for a while; a native New Yorker had raved about it and I had seen it in a few online publications, but perhaps most ironically it featured in an email that I'd received during my visit from the airline I had flown with. Despite all this I was still quite sceptical, as far as I'm concerned Caribbean cuisine is often at its best when it's from a low-key local shop. Miss Lily's however manages to bring an authentic taste of Jamaica to lower Manhattan...successfully!


Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and enthusiastic hostess who decided to 'walk and wine' as she seated us. No complaints from my party...the music was great (think Mavado and Aidonia as well as the more obvious choices such as Chaka Demus and Pliers) so I didn't blame her at all.

The menu consisted mostly of traditional dishes such as Curry Goat, Oxtail and Steamed Fish; there were a few oddballs such 'Fish Tacos' I have never in my life known any Caribbean island to serve tacos, but overall the menu was quite impressive. I ordered the Oxtail and my friends ordered the Curry Goat and Jerk Chicken.

My first time trying Pink Ting!

When the food arrived my friend who had ordered the Curry Goat was thoroughly annoyed as the rice and meat were served separately; I thought it was odd for a Caribbean restaurant and even more so that my Oxtail arrived served on the same plate so I guess it varies depending on the dish. I didn't try anybody else's meal but my Oxtail was delicious and tender and the rice and peas were good also, however everybody enjoyed their meal with no (real) complaints.

Oxtail, Rice and Peas

Jerk Chicken, Festivals and Rice and Peas

Overall I would strongly recommend this restaurant for good Carribean food: it has a cool, laid back vibe and an overall great atmosphere; the mix of Dancehall and Soca music left us in the mood to party (which we did on a Sunday night...only in New York)! I would definitely revisit and also try out Melvin's Juice Box next time...I think Miss Lily's has rightfully earned a place on my favourite places list!

Miss Lily's on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search